DO focus on great customer service — that’s the secret to success on Yelp.
- Yelp exists to show off customer experiences as they are. More smiles mean more great reviews.
- Yelpers write positive reviews much more often than critical reviews; most reviews are four or five stars.
- Critical reviews can be an opportunity to build goodwill with your customers. Show your customers you care by listening to them and responding to reviews on Yelp.
- Don’t write reviews for your own business or of competitors – our Content Guidelines prohibit it.
- Don’t offer freebies, discounts, or payment in exchange for reviews.
- Don’t work with companies offering to “fix your reviews”.
- Don’t ask anyone to write reviews of your business, that includes friends, family, and customers.
- Don’t pressure (or pay, or bully, or sue) people into changing or removing critical reviews.
DO put your best foot forward in your Yelp profile. (Watch a tutorial video)
- Claim your page to get a visible checkmark telling users that you engage with the Yelp community.
- Make sure users can find you: Verify your address, map pin, phone number, and website, and submit any changes.
- Before you get your first review, your customers will see the “From The Business Owner” section front and center — this is your chance to tell your business’s story in your own words.
- Submit appropriate categories for your page to ensure it appears more often in relevant search results.
- Our users are very visual; add beautiful photos to capture their attention.
- Respond to reviews and address concerns when you see them. Our study shows that responding to critical reviews increases the chances of an upgrade to that review’s rating.
- Take advantage of free tools like Request A Quote, and Yelp Eat24 for Restaurants to connect with future customers and grow your business.
- Use Check-In Offers and Yelp Deals to get more users to your Yelp page and into your business. Yelp will prompt users to review businesses they’ve visited online or checked-in at before. Watch this video to learn more.
- Report reviews that may violate Yelp's Content Guidelines.
- Display Yelp's branding to all of your customers; request some free Yelp signage, or show off your People Love Us On Yelp sticker if you’ve earned it!
- Embed your favorite reviews on your website, share them on Facebook and Twitter, and link back to your Yelp page.
- Tell your customers to “Find us on Yelp”, but be careful not to ask them for a review.
...and remember, the secret to success on Yelp is to focus on your customers.